A pear shaped body is said to be the most common of all of the body types.
If you are frustrated with your body every time you put clothes on or look in the mirror, keep in mind that so is most everyone else. The trick to dressing your body is to accent your positives while drawing the eye away from your not so positives.
You know you have an ‘pear shaped body’ when:
Hips are wider than shoulders.
Bust size are most likely not overly large.
Smaller top half in comparison to bottom half.
How to Dress a Pear Shaped Body
The goal to dressing for a pear shaped body is to draw the eye away from the bottom half. Think about attention to your tip while elongating your legs.
Here is how to draw the eye away from the bottom half.
- Draw the attention to the top part of your body. V-necks, obvious and ornate necklaces and pretty/bright colors can do this. So can details in your top such as patterns.
- Wear bright on top and dark on the bottom.
- Show off your waist. Do this by wearing belts or tapered tops.
- Create better shoulders by wearing puffy sleeves or shoulder pads.
- Mid-rise boot-cut pants and jeans are your friend.
- Fitted jackets work well for you.
- Look for A-lines and V-necks as these work best for yo.
What to stay clear of:
- Avoid tops, jackets or anything worn on top that stops in the middle of the widest part of your hips. Opt for either shorter or longer versions.
- Anything that can draw attention to your lower half. This includes ‘whiskers’ on denim. patterns, and pleats.
- Avoid drawing attention to your hips. Handbags and certain kinds of zippers.
- Avoid anything that makes your leg look shorter such as shoes with straps around the ankle and Bermuda shorts.
- Crop tops can often draw more attention to your hips. Look for tops that land just below your hip.
- Light color bottoms including denim should be avoided. The darker the better. Also, avoid any kind of detailing such as studded back pockets.
- Avoid skirts shorter than just above your knee. Ideally, skirts should hit your knee- which is not always the best for petites.