Ask just about any woman and she will tell you that finding the right support is essential for about anything we do.
Fitness Bras for Curvy Gals, How to Get the Perfect Fit
Have you ever seen someone jogging or walking down the street who was not well supported?
I know there may be some fellas who don’t mind seeing this sort of thing but, I don’t like seeing gals in a bra that doesn’t do it’s job. I think of the pain she could be in and then I think about the long term effects of poor support with exercise.
Finding the perfect support, especially for an active life, is so important.
Just as with finding a bra for anything else we do, finding the perfect size and fit is important to finding the perfect support.
They say that a woman’s size and fit can change throughout a lifetime.
How to get the perfect fitness bra fit
When was the last time that you were fitted?
The importance of a good fit is even more essential for a gal with curves.
We curvy gals love and embrace our curves and we like to treat them with importance. It is not every gal who is blessed with curves after all.
Everyone is different when it comes to finding the perfect bra size.
As a general rule of measuring for fit, we should measure our bust size routinely.
How Measure Your Bra Size
- We first need to find our band size by using a tape measure and measuring above the bust, then at our armpits- pulling the measuring tape as tight as possible
- Then we need to measure around the fullest part of our bust over the nipples without pulling the measuring tape.
- Now we do a bit of math to determine a cup size. Simply add 4″ to your band size (from #1)if the band size is even or add 5″ if the band size is odd. Subtract this number from the measurement from #2 above. Got it?
- Now, from the last step, for every inch difference, you can get your cup size. go 1” difference would be an A cup, 2” a B, and 3″ a C, etc.
- Note that if your cup size is greater than a D, some manufacturers classify cup sizes differently
Because we are blessed with curves, when it comes to finding an athletic bra, we need to shop a bit smarter than the gal with no curves.
Simply stated, we need more support to both take care of our gals and to prevent all of that jiggling.
- Avoid those standard fitness bras that have no closure in the back- it’s not only tough to get on and off when you have curves, it’s also hard to get that good support.
- Go for maximum coverage- the more coverage usually means more support.
- Try on more than one bra style and from different manufacturers until you get what works.
- When you try on those bras, jump up and down and look for spillage, juggling, etc. You don’t want to find a fail the hard way right?
- Look for fit and adjust where needed- A band that rides up your back may mean that your bra is either too large or needs to be tightened or could be the wrong size. Spillage may indicate the wrong cup size. Slipping bands (uuuggghh) may indicate the need for a racerback style (not always the most supportive) or the need for wider straps (my fix!).
Playtex Women’s Active Lifestyle Bra
Cup, Slings And Straps: 100% Polyester; Lining: 100% Nylon; Back: 91% Polyester, 9% Spandex
Hook & Eye closure
Sport bra featuring seamless wire-free cups and wide cushioned straps
Hook-and-eye back closure